***Gantry Plaza State Park
is a state park
on the East River
in the Hunters Point
section ofLong Island City
, in the New York City borough
The 10-acre (4.0 ha) park first opened in May 1998 and was expanded in July 2009. The southern portion of the park is a former dock facility and includes restored "contained apron" transfer bridges of the James B. French patent, and built in 1925, to load and unload rail car floats
that served industries on Long Island via the Long Island Rail Road
tracks that used to run along 48th Avenue (now part of Hunter's Point Park). The northern portion of Gantry Plaza State Park was a former Pepsi
To one side of the Gantries, is a Combined Sewer Overflow warning sign (Wet Weather Discharge Point) alerting the public to avoid swimming, boating or fishing during wet weather as raw, untreated sewage is routinely discharged from the pipes beneath the walkway.
The park offers picnic tables, a playground, a fishing and crabbing pier limited only to pier #4 and subject to NYS DEC rules, playing fields, and a waterfront promenade with a view of United Nations Headquarters
and the midtown Manhattan
Constructed in 1936 by Artkraft Strauss
, the 120-foot (37 m) long and 60-foot (18 m) high neon Pepsi-Cola sign was located on top of the bottling plant before it was preserved and moved into a permanent location within the park.