is an island
in the Town of Southold
in Suffolk County
, New York
in theUnited States
. The Island is situated in Gardiners Bay
, east of Orient Point
, off the eastern end of the North Fork
coast of Long Island
. It is about 3 miles (4.8 km) long and 1-mile (1.6 km) wide at its widest point.
The Island is the site of the Plum Island Animal Disease Center
(PIADC) which was established by the United States Department of Agriculture
(USDA) in 1954. The Island is also the site of the former U.S. military installation Fort Terry
(c. 1897), and the historicPlum Island Light
(c. 1827), and its automated replacement.
Plum Island is owned in its entirety by the United States Government, which was considering sale of the Island as part of a debt-reduction package,
but suspended the plan in February 2012.
Access to the island is controlled by the United States Department of Homeland Security
On August 29, 2013, the United States General Services Administration
(GSA) andUnited States Department of Homeland Security
(DHS) announced a final "Record of Decision (ROD): Public Sale of Plum Island, New York".